Friday, July 9, 2010

A Pandora's Box

I recently came from an online debate where the posted article was about President Obama's broken promises. Being a Facebook "friend" and have engaged in political debates with this person before, I pointed out the one sidedness of this argument and presented the link fully assessing President Obama's promises, those kept, those compromised, those unaddresses, and those broken. It became quite clear that this article was only shared to "demonstrate" their point, that "NObama" was wrong from the start. They were not interested in conversation or debate, but rather to propel their beliefs amongst themselves. They have the audacity to claim they are fair and informed, yet they surround themselves only with information in which they agree. They then thrust this belief system down anyone who they come across who disagrees with them. We are demonized for having an opposing point of view. I refer to them in the plural intentionally. When one member's perspective comes under attack, others come running to the defense. Accuracy of facts are not addressed, just the defense of the message. A civil debate, a redirection to more information, an attempt to point out a one-sided argument is met with mob mentality.

I walked away. But I was posed with a question, was walking away a success to them silencing me and consequently winning their argument by default? I must conceed that the answer is yes. I must contend that I am weaker than the mob. I have no frame of knowledge of how to redirect a mob. I have been shocked into silence. Any words of wisdom?

2 comments:

melissa strauss anderson said...

sorry kirk, but when you said "We are demonized for having an opposing point of view" , what actually happened is that you were presenting ALL the facts, you know the ones she conveniently omitted,
and she didn't like that.
so then she decided in her defense, not to take responsiblity for what she posted and attacked you instead.
it's called deflection and she and the rest of the "clan" are very good at it.

Christine Evans said...

In the words of Kenny Rogers...You have to know when to hold them. Know when to fold them. Know when to Walk Away. Know when to run.

That takes wisdom. Consider yourself a wise man.

Post a Comment

No to Fox

Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition »

About Us

My photo
York, Pennsylvania, United States
I am a very creative person with years of experience in many different creative fields. I am a published writer writing for political blogs as well as product reviews. I have also worked in the Digital Audio/Video special effects business too.

Visitor counter


Visitor conter 2